Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Acquiring a Taste for The Lawrence Welk Show

Thanks for the post from Stan Atkins

Call me old fashioned, but I so much enjoy watching the reruns of The Lawrence Welk Show every weekend on PBS. My grandmother loved the show, my mom adored the program, and I, well, I wasn't so crazy about it as a child. With the passage of age and the appreciation of talent, now I love it, too.
Watching on satellite TV from TVbyDirect.com last weekend, the HD telecast really stood out to me. Everything was so defined. It's definitely easy to notice on this variety series because Welk's show was big on colorful, Broadway-like backdrops and costumes.
The show employed a chorus of singers who performed individually, in small pairings, and together as one big group. They often wore very elaborate costumes, some of which came from movie studios. Once they were allowed to use the stunning costumes from the racetrack scene in My Fair Lady. It was marvelous.
The men and women usually wore identical outfits as they performed together, and they frequently moved around, enacting different choreography designed to bring home movement and a sense of liveliness for the viewers.
It just all stood out to me even watching it most recently how much I enjoyed it and how bright the hues were. I realized I was smiling, just from listening to the harmonies and enjoying the presentation.
Maybe I've turned into my mom!

5 comments:

GagayMD said...

hola ate mel! thanks for adding my blogs..your blog has been added already...by the way, i checked ur profile, seemed ur having flooding of blogs..lol! :D r u a teacher te mel? :D


Im..but GAGAY.
Pinoy-MD
The Latest Buzzzz

Mel said...

thanks for the visit gay. yes im a teacher why? hehe;-)

GagayMD said...

ate mel..am here in Cebu City..hehehe.. san po kau dito sa cebu te?dito ako sa urgello..just near school. :D



Im..but GAGAY.
Pinoy-MD
The Latest Buzzzz

Mel said...

im from lapu2 langga. hehe. asa ka skul sa south we? skul ko dira sa una masteral hehe pero ni shift ko sped sa uv man. waa what a small world hehe;-)

Mel said...

gay r u studying in swu? ;-)

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Term of Use